Minesite Cabling GPON Deployment
R-Group was requested to supply subcontracting services to the Rio Tinto West Angelas Construction Village located 12km west of the existing West Angelas Process Plant which consisted of the design and deployment of a high-quality Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) Network.
Scope of GPON Deployment:
The project included the design and deployment of:
- The Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) Network: This included the installation and configuration of the Headend Infrastructure and the Optical Network Units (ONUs) into the communication cabinets to centrally manage the network.
- The Television System: TV headend infrastructure was configured and installed to allow for the conversion of Free-to-Air and Foxtel channels into Radio Frequency over Glass (RFoG) signals over the same fibre as the GPON Network for consistency.
- Fibre Cabling Network: 6-core single-mode fiber was installed into the central communications room to designated GPON distribution points.
- Wi-Fi Network: To address high-density challenges with residents, one access point was installed into each accommodation room and a common area along with dual redundant
wireless controllers to provide onsite residents with internet services to stay connected to friends and family back home.
- CCTV Infrastructure: CCTV headend infrastructure and cameras were cabled around the village with the ability to store and review captured footage.
- Central Facilities: Requested upgrades were made for the requirements of each room, this required the installation of Indoor Panels, additional cabling, telephone services, and VoIP gateways where applicable in order to modernise the village infrastructure as a whole.