Implementation of Mine camp Entertainment and Communication Services to FMG.
Iron Ore mining company FMG approached R-Group to reinvigorate one of their decommissioned villages within one of their key mine hubs in the Pilbara which including implementing their mine camp entertainment and communication systems.
The existing network infrastructure was old due to the age of the decommissioned camp which meant that a large proportion was no longer suitable to re-use for the new solution. On the other hand, some of the existing infrastructure had already been re-purposed at neighbouring camps following the camp closure previously.
R-Group was appointed to remediate and upgrade the communications and in-room systems within all accommodation rooms and common areas throughout the site.
Our approach included:
- A discovery audit of existing infrastructure to determine suitability to support camp-wide IPTV and Wi-Fi services as part of the mine camp entertainment requirement
- Implementation of a GPON solution that maximized the repurposing of suitable existing infrastructure to lower overhead costs.
- Installation of Network infrastructure including Access Points in rooms and common areas, and wireless controllers into the neighboring camp.
- Deployment of a mine camp entertainment solution with a customized and easily navigatable in-room IPTV interface providing access to Free to Air TV, Foxtel, Video on Demand, and In-house Corporate Information channels.
- Installation of TV panels and WiFi into all rooms and common areas for residents to use
Mine camp entertainment and communication services are a key focus solution for R-Group within the resources sector. There is no doubt that there is a correlation between social isolation and stress for those that live and work in remote settings. By providing communication and mine camp entertainment services to our mining customers allows those working in socially isolated settings to have the chance to unwind with the camp entertainment system or to connect with those at home using the telephony and internet services available.